Saturday 4 February 2017

Embodiment and Dualism

Well hasn't this sparked off some discussions within my household.
Making use of my 'in-between time' I have been reading through the module 2 handbook and reading and researching influential practitioners (currently adoring Katharine Dunham and Sondra Fraleigh).
Yet it was not til recently I thought to ask others how they thought of our minds and bodies. Do they lean towards dualism or embodiment?
As soon as I read both definitions there was no doubt in my mind as to my own opinion. I believe the mind and the body are connected and the body can influence the mind.
Yet having very technological people in my life this has sprouted heated discussions of how their opinions differ, they believe the body and mind are two completely separate entities and we are no different to a computers core processor.
It's interesting to hear others opinions from a modern viewpoint and their own interpretations and explanations.
It has caused me to look deeper into what I believe and why ? Is it because of my chosen profession and my own understanding and connection with my own body through dance and movement that I believe in a link and the influence of the body?  Have I actually read, understood and researched into both embodiment and dualism enough to be so certain about my own beliefs? Did I just to jump to a decision?
Though still leaning towards embodiment I will continue to research and understand both to find out exactly what I believe and hopefully why?
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/a-brief-guide-to-embodied-cognition-why-you-are-not-your-brain/
I found this article really helpful to put things into perspective and help with the debates going on within my family as I feel this puts embodiment into a simpler form and also pushes through clear research (it was also pretty helpful it used references to computers to help my own case while debating).
Wondering how everyone else is getting along and if you have any thoughts or have come across any good articles or books.
I have just started reading moving consciously by Sondra Fraleigh ( recommended on my very first blog post by Helen) so will hopefully feedback on that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment